Below are 2 simple roast “recipes” for you, I’m sure most of you know them, so pick one and try it or better yet, try them both!
Mississippi Pot Roast
- Packet of ranch
- Pepperchinis and bit of the juice
- Packet of onion soup
- Cook on low in a crockpot all day, serve with mashed potatoes or on a sandwich; this can also be done in the instant pot.
Kesia Hanson loves this one, thanks Kesia!!
I have to let you in on a secret: I avoided this one for so many years, it just sounded strange, so my son-in-law made it and it is so good!! Give it a try!!
Old Fashioned Pot Roast
- Onions (preference)
- Garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 c drippings/broth from roast
- 1/2 can Coca Cola
- Carrots (cut)
- Potatoes (cut)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For your roast, braise it in butter with some salt and pepper
- Sauté onions and garlic (both to taste); add Worcestershire sauce and the drippings/broth from the roast.
- Pour sauce over the roast.
- Add additional onions to the top of the roast to cook them down.
- Pour ½ a can of coca cola over the roast; you will not taste this and it breaks down the membranes in the roast that can make them tough.
- Now add your cut up carrots and potatoes to the pot and cook on low all day, and I mean like 9 hrs or so.
Now enjoy! You can make gravy from the drippings from the leftovers or cook the drippings down for an au jus for the next day to dip sammies in. Either one you try, you are going to ask yourself ‘why don’t I do this more often’! Simplify and enjoy!
I know this time of year we want fancy and jaw dropping meal presentations and feasts but I am going to challenge you to simplify that desire and go old school at least once in the next 30 days. Save yourself and your sanity and let things be easier. The other day while at work the conversation of what’s for dinner came up and I said “oh I have a roast in the slow cooker that will have the meal waiting for me when I get home, to simply serve and enjoy”. The comments were the same: oh I love pot roast, I don’t know why I don’t cook one more often and what time should I be there? This is one of the simplest meals you can make that is hearty, all in one pot, and everyone loves it, and if you cook a large roast, leftovers are the best and versatile from sammies to tacos.